Jemseg, New Brunswick
Jemseg, New Brunswick is a Canadian rural community in Queens County, New Brunswick. It is situated on the east bank of the Jemseg River along its short keep running from Grand Lake to the Saint John River. The community was the Capital of Acadia (1690–91) for a short period of time.
Some places to stay in the Jemseg area:
Before European contact in the sixteenth century the Wolastoqiyik (additionally called the Maliseet or Malecites) and other native people groups lived along the banks of the Wolastoock (the “good” or “beautiful” river, named the “Saint John River” by the principal European voyagers) for a large number of years. Exchanging and travel were far reaching because of the conjunction of streams and lakes that happens around there. The region of Grand Lake directed the neighborhood atmosphere and assets were plentiful. Spring keeps running of gaspereau and salmon, winter groups of caribou, other diversion and, obviously a decent assortment of wild plants from fiddleheads in spring to butternuts in fall were accessible to seekers and gatherers.
Most “Jemsegers” live along the banks of the short, profound Jemseg River that spills out of Grand Lake to the Saint John River. Local people talk about two towns, “Upper” and “Lower” Jemseg. Jemseg is presumably the most seasoned name in Queens County. The name Jemseg is said to originate from a Malecite word Ah-jem-sik, signifying “grabbing place”, a reference to the exchange that generally occurred here amid the pre-contact period and through both the English and French control of the territory. The name is connected to what at first were two towns, Lower Jemseg and Upper Jemseg.
The historical backdrop of Jemseg is a microcosm of the entire story of Acadia, the eastern areas of Canada that went forward and backward between the French and English after 1604.
Legislative head of Acadia/Nova Scotia Col. Thomas Temple built up the principal exchanging post at Jemseg close to the mouth of the stream (1659). This was a sustained post helpful for exchange with the Maliseet. However Temple’s flourishing was fleeting for Acadia was restored to the French in 1667.
A spring surge in 1696 brought about late planting and product failures.
Strike on Jemseg (1674)
Sieur Pierre de Joybert de Soulanges et de Marson lived here when the post was assaulted in 1674 by Dutch maritime chief Jurriaen Aernoutsz amid the Franco-Dutch War.
After the passing of Soulanges in 1678 it was involved by the d’Amours siblings, Louis and Mathieu, who are perceived as the principal ranchers at Jemseg. So cultivating around there has a 300 year history albeit these days strawberries, potatoes and market vegetables are the boss products developed while meat steers and light stallions are the main stock exchanged monetarily.
Legislative leader of Acadia Joseph Robineau de Villebon set up the town as the Capital of Acadia (1690–91).  Around 1700, Fort Jemseg was relinquished for military purposes despite the fact that it was still utilized as an exchanging post. A surge in 1701 made misfortunes harvests and dairy cattle. The settlement was migrated to Port Royal, Nova Scotia.
Attack on Jemseg (1758)
By the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, Acadia was surrendered to the English for the last time. Responsibility for day New Brunswick, notwithstanding, stayed in question until the finish of the French and Indian War. It appears to be likely that Acadians lived and cultivated in the region until 1758 when General Monckton bulldozed the settlement amid the St. John River Campaign.
In the middle of then and 1783, a modest bunch of English-talking pre-Loyalist families settled on the Jemseg (the Nevers, Garrison and Estabrooks for instance), yet it was the United Empire Loyalists after the American Revolution (1783) who truly created the town to develop. Follower names like Dykeman, Ferris, Gunter and Currie and, as of not long ago Colwell, are still spoken to in the group and these individuals regularly live on the same area conceded to their predecessors in the eighteenth century.
Places of worship
St. James church in Lower Jemseg
As the groups developed, places of worship and schools were constructed. At first nomad ministry from the Church of England, and somewhat later Baptist pastorate additionally went from spot to put. The Anglican minister of Gagetown at Gagetown started work in 1785 and for quite a few years performed the ceremonies of sanctification, relational unions and internments. By the mid 1820s the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel had sent Rev. Abraham Wood to the Grand Lake pastorate, and by the mid-twenties the Baptist Church, the alleged “Canning Church” was serving the Baptists of the region. Schools seem to have started ahead of schedule in the nineteenth century; unquestionably there were no less than three schools in the range when the main school assessment was done in 1844. One school was in the region of the corner and the stone church (St James’ Anglican) at Lower Jemseg, a second was some place close to the assumed division in the middle of Upper and Lower just underneath Stuart and Lori Appt’s ranch, and the third was on the banks of a little stream that keeps running into Grand Lake between the Walter Gunter and Turner ranches.
Amid the two or more hundreds of years since the Loyalists came, the populace has remained moderately stable with fresh introductions blending with the more established pioneers. Schools, stores and organizations have traveled every which way. Holy places have been fabricated. St. James (Anglican) worked in 1887 at Lower Jemseg is an engineering diamond, and the Jemseg Baptist Church which dates from the mid-nineteenth century is normal of rustic places of worship all through the nation.
Simultaneously with the advancement of houses of worship and schools, tradesmen began to show up. Other than instructors and ministers, smithies, craftsmen, sailors, tanners, understudy, shoemakers, weavers, and, obviously, vendors showed up as need directed. Likewise by mid-century the time of wooden boats was a reality, and men started to manufacture wooden water crafts, and even maritime vessels along the banks of Jemseg Creek. As of right now the riverboats were settled and all through the route season there were vessels originating from Saint John two or even three times each week, and returning on the next day – a great approach to get ranch produce to city showcases and fabricated products to individuals up waterway.
As time went on blended cultivating, and ranger service in the off-season, were the essential occupations of the tenants with a couple tradespeople as required. The populace with Loyalist roots was supplemented every once in a while by foreigners for the most part from Scotland and Ireland yet by and large the populace neither expanded or diminished in numbers for two centuries. The dependence on farming and some ranger service kept going until after World War II yet then with automation, (changing from steeds to tractors) and with an arrangement of streets for transporting produce to business sectors, things changed rather rapidly. The stream vessels stopped to work in the 1940s, and now in the 21st century homesteads are not very many to be sure. More than fifty years, Jemseg, in the same way as other country groups, transformed from a flourishing independent spot to a group of resigned individuals or the individuals who make a trip every day to vocation somewhere else. The town school has been gone following 1978, keeping in mind the chapels still exist they are to some degree decreased as focuses of group action.
In Jemseg in 2006 there are two stores, one of which has existed in the same family for more than 100 years. The neighborhood Lions association is a going worry, just like the Farmers’ Market which prospers at the Lions’ Hall on Saturday mornings in summer. There are two Women’s Institute Halls that serve as essential group meeting spots, and both W.I’s. are dynamic. There is a motel dating from the 1950s (Jemseg LakeView Motel) which is still in operation, and a green house operation has quite recently started. Group Days are commended in August. At the intersection at “Upper” Jemseg a wonderful group garden has been produced. New individuals are coming to Jemseg, and a large portion of them have ended up included in group life, where they join the long-lasting occupants in commending the appeal and characteristic excellence of the group.
Early pilgrims were pulled in to this spot by a few things. Firstly the arrangement of streams and lakes implied transportation was generally simple through the vast majority of the year. At that point there was a broad old-development timberland which was utilized just about from the earliest starting point for residential building, and gainfully for poles and competes for the King’s Navy. Thirdly, the stream and Grand Lake, which is around 5 miles (8.0 km) wide and 25 miles (40 km) since quite a while ago, directed the atmosphere, giving an amplified developing season. The area was rich and very level, and amounts of bog roughage arrived for the cutting. The greater part of the area stipends were for 200 sections of land (0.81 km2), and most of the pilgrims over the main decade or two set up flourishing homesteads.
Being situated at the intersection where the Jemseg River meets the Saint John River, and in this way the passage to Grand Lake, Jemseg has generally held a critical spot in the territory’s history of water transportation. A few wharves served steam fueled waterway vessels until being obscured by railroads. In the mid 1960s Jemseg was put on the advanced roadway system with fulfillment of the Trans-Canada Highway through New Brunswick; Route 2 crossed the Jemseg River on the Jemseg River Bridge. In 2002 another 4-path interstate arrangement of Route 2 opened through the group, including another scaffold over the Jemseg River quickly upstream of the first, which now conveys Route 105.
Amid the mid year and fall one of the old wharves has the Jemseg Farmers’ Market.